Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Finally: Florida Weather

I waited 40 minutes for this "sunrise". The day was much nicer than its beginning suggested.
Tuesday dawned gray, with rain in the forecast for the afternoon. We all swam anyway, and stayed at the pool after the sun made a mid-morning surprise appearance. The pool deck -- empty most days -- was suddenly full of cheerful vacationers, including a couple of frail looking men well beyond their eightieth birthdays.

A "real" Florida sky. Sun at last.
The sky looked iffy so I wore transition lenses rather than sunglasses, my usual optimistic choice in eyewear. When I finally got out of the pool after over two hours, I actually sat to warm myself on the chaise longue, something I hardly ever do. For the first time since we arrived in Florida, the sun was so bright that I had to shield my eyes from the rays. Pure bliss!

Marilyn took us to lunch at Sea Critters, where we sat on the porch beside the water. The same server we've enjoyed on previous visits (and I'll bet I have his name somewhere) regaled us with his good natured kidding and witticisms. Excellent open faced sandwiches for all of us (Marilyn: crab; Bob: grilled sheepshead; me: lobster).

The day was feeling like southwest Florida at last.